Pages

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Pickles, pickles, and... MORE pickles?!


Aren't they beautiful? Seven pint jars of Bread & Butter pickles, 1 pint jar and 12 half pint jars of Sweet Relish, and 9 pint jars of Garlic Dill Pickles. We've given a few of these jars to our family members.

Homemade pickles are the only reason why I grow cucumbers. I have not eaten a fresh cucumber from my garden at all this year.


Last week I cut off all the baby pickles from my dying cucumber plant. I had enough for about a half pint of Sweet Gerkins! I just put it in a pint jar though, because that's what I had. Extra pickle juice is never a bad thing. This brought my pickle jar count up to 30.

I thought my pickling days were over for the year. But instead, Steve's aunt gave us a HUGE bucket of cucumbers from her garden! I haven't weighed it out, but I'm guessing it's at least 12 lbs.


I'll never complain about more pickles. Unfortunately though, I was out of half pint jars and only had a few pint jars left. Most stores are sold out of jars and won't be getting more in, but luckily I was able to find some.

I plan on making more sweet relish and maybe some dill relish with these! One can never have too many pickles.

No comments:

Post a Comment